Traveling can be tricky, especially if it’s your first business trip, you have to prepare, create materials, and work out all facets for the purpose of your trip and then on top of everything pack your suitcase! Packing is usually ends up being minute and can be a stressful daunting task!
In the past, my suitcase seemed to look like the photo above, my room was a disaster, I was stressed out and the suitcase was bursting! One time, I carried on three extra pairs of shoes in my carry-on just because I “needed” them! Needless to say, the shoes weren’t worn and I had to lug all my possessions around the airport, to the hotel and then back home. I vowed that I would not be the unorganized girl in the airport with a cart full of useless luggage again! I went on a mission to find ways to be prepared for the next travel adventure and found these amazing tips!
Folding chart to fit all your belongings into one suitcase from Onebag.com
Packing lists and guides from http://www.Travelfashiongirl.com
Carry-on regulations from the http://www.TSA.gov
Whatever happens during this time, a savvy professional woman is always prepared and organized for the days ahead. Good Luck with your packing and stay tuned for what goes into the suitcase!
The time has come for (dundundunn) to attack the monster in you closet, i.e. the copious amounts of clothing, shoes and accessories hidden behind closed doors! Every optimistic organization expert on the topic would say any time you buy an item, take two items out of your closet to be donated or sold. WELL… I tried this method, all I ended up with was an over loaded laundry basket and overloaded garbage bags when I needed the laundry baskets. Before I knew it, my so-called sanctuary started looking like a land fill and “No Body Got Time for THAT!”
In my experience, organizing your closet is like detailing your car, either pay someone else to do it for you or take the time to do it yourself! Since we don’t have Kardashian-sized pay checks that leaves us up to the task! So turn on the music, face reality and get it done.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts while doing your spring closet cleaning:
- DO take before and after pictures. Taking these pictures and mentally seeing the huge difference you made will boost your confidence and make you feel extremely accomplished!
- DON’T get overwhelmed! Tactical the closet by item: shirts, sweaters, shoes, bags, skirts, pants, etc.
- DON’T create the “perfect outfit” in your mind for “that shirt” even though its been over two years since you have even seen it! Take my advice donate it to someone who will love it as much as you did TWO years ago.
- DO separate you clothing into piles. What is one person’s trash is another’s treasure! Decide what should be donated, sold, and included for a Wine and Swap girl’s night!
- DON’T cry! There are plenty of people that need these items more than you!
- DO call your best friend in while in distress over purging some of your favorite items. If they are a good friend, they will even participate in a moment of silence after being placed in the garbage or donation bin.
- DO convince your friends to attack their own closet monsters and then plan “Girl’s Wine and Swap night!” Bring all your closet items and swap for things you like! Also, plan ahead for a goodwill truck to pick up all items outside your door in the morning!
- DO find charities to donate and that are willing to pick up your items from home, so you don’t have a landfill starting in your living room.
I hope these Do’s and Don’ts were helpful! Please let me know your thoughts, comments, or concerns! Feel free to post your before and afters in the comments section! Happy Spring Cleaning!!
Ever since my mother introduced me to the bright lights and busy streets of New York City, I knew it was the place for me. My mother would ask, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” My response: “I want to get dressed up in a suit and carry a brief case and walk around in New York City!” My mother would then say,” Well, what would you put in the brief case and where would you be going?” My response: “I don’t know! (giggle and run off to play)” Now this seemed like a completely sensible answer when I was six years-old and it even sounded good (in my head) at times in high school! But when I really sat down to think about it: where was I going and what was I going to be carrying in that brief case and what would I be doing? This all became clear when I discovered Public Relations in College. PR brought me to the Big Apple, making me carry a bazillion items at one time and doing many different tasks in the process!
Suitcase or Satchel’s mission is to aid the 20 somethings moving into their 30 somethings, in being the best prepared for every occasion while looking absolutely divine. It’s purpose is to provide help with all the tasks of the “On-the-Go” demands of life. It will provide guidance for packing and organizing your business to personal life, while helping you to find the “balance”. Along the way I will be sharing my tips, “Aha” moments, hilariously bad experiences and success stories.
If you need organizing help read on….if you are always looking for a way to fit those amazing 6th pair of shoes into a suitcase read on…. if you find that you always have to go home before going out please read on… and if you are one of my friends- you better read on! 🙂